File system errors in Microsoft Windows 11 can prevent users from opening PDF files, images, documents, videos, and programs. Solve various errors below.
File system error in Windows 11
Usually, file system error occurs on Windows computer due to hard drive related issues caused by corrupted files, bad sectors, disk integrity corruption and other errors.
Of file system errors may also occur due to the presence of malware and occur when trying to access files or programs that require administrator privileges.
Whatever the reasons, you should be able to fix ” File System Error ” on your computer using one of the following methods.
Fix File system error Using Easy Methods
1-Switch to the default Windows theme
Users reported that they fixed “File System Error” by switching to the default Windows theme.
- Right-click on the desktop (in an empty space). Select the Customize option from the menu that appears.
- On the next screen, select Themes from the left pane. In the right pane, select Windows 11, Windows, or Windows (Clear) Theme.
Restart your computer and see if you are still receiving “File System Error” notifications on your computer.
2-Reset Windows Store cache
Corrupted or expired Windows Store cache can also result in ” File System Error ” notifications .
- Right click the Startbutton and click Run .
- In the Run command window, type exeand press Enter on your computer keyboard.
- Then you will see a blank Command Prompt window. Wait for the blank Command Prompt window to close.
Once the blank Command Prompt window closes. You will see Microsoft Store open on your computer. Then, you may see a message saying “Store cache has been cleared”.
3-Use the Check Disk Utility Tool
Then you can trust the built-in Check Disk Utility Tool in Windows 11 to check your hard drive bad sectors, corrupt files and logical file errors.
- Open File Exploreron your computer.
- On the File Explorer screen, click This PCin the left pane. In the right pane, right click on C: / Local Disk and click Properties .
- On the properties screen, select the Toolstab and click the Check button , located in the “Error checking” section.
- Wait for Windows to finish the process of scanning the harddrive for errors.
When the scan is complete, Windows will notify you of errors (if any).
4-Repair system files using DISM
If Check Disk Utility reports errors, you can follow the steps below to correct these errors using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management ( DISM) tool .
- Right-click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the Command Prompt window, type DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth and press Enter key.
Note: There must be a space after DISM, Online and Cleanup-Image.
- Wait for the DISM tool to check for errors on your computer and fix them.
Note: The DISM process can take 10 to 15 minutes or more. The progress bar may not display for a while and you may find the progress stuck at 20% for a long time.
After the DISM command completes, restart the computer.
5-Run an antivirus or anti-malware scan
As mentioned above, “file system errors” can also be generated due to the presence of viruses or malware on your computer.
Scan your computer for malware using the antivirus program installed on your computer, or you can use the Windows Defender Offline tool to scan and remove harmful programs from your computer.
How to remotely lock a Windows 11 computer
You can remotely lock your computer and make sure that no one can use your computer while you are away. Below are the steps to remotely lock Windows 11 computer .
Remotely lock a Windows 11 computer
Most of us have been in a situation that has taken us away from our computer. Without realizing that we forgot to log off or lock our computer .
If the ” Remote Desktop ” is activated, you will be able to disconnect or shut down your computer remotely by accessing your computer from another computer or from another mobile phone.
Another way to remotely lock Windows 11 computer provided by Microsoft is available on your computer.
To be able to remotely lock a Windows 11 computer. Your computer must be connected to the Internet and the Find my device feature must be enabled on it.
How to Lock Windows 11 PC Remotely
Just in case, the Find my device option enabled on your computer . You can lock your computer remotely by following the steps below.
Follow this guide: How to Configure Find My Device in Windows 11 . “If the option find my device is not active”.
- Open any web browser and then go to https://account.microsoft.com/account/windows.
- Sign in using your Microsoft account username and password.
- Once logged in, then click on the Manage your devicesoption .
- On the next screen, click the Find my devicelink .
Once you click on locate my device , the current location of your computer will be displayed in words and also on a map.
⇒ Click the Lock button to start the process of remote locking your computer.
- The next screen allows you to write a personalized message for your computer’s viewfinder (in case of loss or theft).
Since you are only trying to remotely lock your computer, all you need to do is click the Lock button to remotely lock your computer.
Once you click on Lock:
all active users sign out of your device. Additionally, all local user accounts are deactivated from your computer.
When you return to your computer, you will be able to log in using your computer’s administrator account.